Monday, October 15, 2012

Black Bean Veggie Burgers


Here is a different take on a veggie burger.  I don't make these burgers because I don't eat meat, I do, but I am trying to eat a more plant based diet in general.  This black bean burger is one based on one of my favorite processed free guru's, Dee McCaffrey.  She and her books are the reason I decided to go processed free.  Check out her newest book: The Science of Skinny - life changing!  What I love about this burger is that it doesn't need any kind of refined flour or bread crumbs, and packs in a lot of veggies and flavor.  So here is my version of this tasty dish.

2 cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced (or use half a red and half a green pepper)
2 small carrots, grated
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup oat bran
1/4 salsa
1 can (4 oz.) diced green chilies
1/2 cup corn (optional - make sure it's organic)
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried oregano or 2 Tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro
3 to 4 tsp. taco seasoning (make your own)
coconut oil

Cook the onions, peppers, carrots, and garlic in a Tbsp. of coconut oil.  I actually throw all of these veggies in the food processor and pulse until they are the consistency I want - more minced, but not pureed.  Then I saute them until they are soft and set them aside.  If you're using corn too, you can throw it in toward the end of the cooking for the veggies just to warm it through.   In a large bowl, mash the beans and add the veggies, spices, and other ingredients.  I gave the option to include oregano or cilantro depending on if you wanted a traditional or Mexican flavor - only pick one.  Wet your hands and mold the mixture into patties, about 8 to 10.  Add a small amount of coconut oil to the pan, place the patties inside, and cook covered on low/medium heat for about 4 minutes.  Then flip and cook another 4 minutes uncovered.  You could also grill these instead.

These are great on a sprouted bun, chopped up and put in burritos/tacos, served on top of salads or on their own as the main dish.  I even like the leftovers put in a Mexican omelet or a sprouted tortilla burrito. 

A little note about the taco seasoning - you absolutely have to make your own or it is not processed free.  You can find blend recipes online.  I have one I like, but I put only a fraction of the cayenne in it because that would make it too spicy for my kids.  Make this personal to you and your family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment