Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Banana Chocolate Chip Donuts


You all know by now that my biggest processed food no-nos are white flour and sugar.  They are just bad news and not worth my health.  So, I've been experimenting with different kinds of flours for a while.  I like whole wheat for sure, but one of my new favorites is spelt flour.  It is a cereal grain in the wheat family so it does have gluten, but most people with a mild wheat allergy can still tolerate it.  It also contains protein, vitamins, minerals, and fiber.  This is light years away from processed white flour.  And as far as sugar is concerned, there are great alternatives out there that are processed free and even nutritious.

I came across a banana chocolate chip donut recipe on pinterest (original here) and knew I could make a few swaps and have a real crowd pleaser for my family.  Plus, these are baked, so no need to get out the frying pan and oil.  I bought a donut pan several years ago and love baking practically anything into a donut (if it has that shape - it's a donut to my kids) and this was a great way to use up those ripe bananas.  

1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2)
1/2 cup sucanat (read more about it here)
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup melted butter
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups white spelt flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips (or cut up a dark chocolate bar into small chunks)

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.  In a large bowl, put the banana, sucanat, and yogurt and mix with an electric mixer until incorporated.  Add the butter, eggs, vanilla and mix again.  Then add the flour baking powder, and baking soda.  Mix until just incorporated - don't over mix.  Fold in the chocolate chips.  

Scoop the batter into a large zip-top bag and seal it shut.  Snip off one of the corners (large enough that the chocolate chips can come through) and pipe it into a greased donut pan about 3/4 of the way full.  I used my misto with coconut oil for the greasing - if you don't know what that is, read about it here.  Bake for 12 to 15 minutes and turn out onto a wire rack to cool. 


After a few minutes they are ready to eat!  They taste great as is, but if you want to add more of a donut flare, brush on some melted butter to the tops and dip them in a mixture of cinnamon and coconut/palm sugar or make a healthy, refined sugar free glaze or chocolate sauce (all of which are on my blog too.)  I have to say, we like them as is - no need for extras, but if they appeal with toppings, go for it.  They also freeze well and are easy to pull out one at a time and heat up for 30 seconds in the microwave - how's that for donuts in a hurry!  This will make about 16 to 18 donuts.  Yum!!

 
Update: I just recently got a mini donut maker and I have been cranking out these little baby donuts like no body's business!  Aren't they adorable.  You pipe them into the bottom of the hot donut maker, close the lid for a minute and they are done!  These are so easy to pop in your mouth and they freeze really well.  My kids absolutely love them! 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment