Saturday, January 26, 2013

Almond Spread

 
 
I made my fruit and veggie muffins (recipe here) and wanted to try a new nut spread that I found on pinterest.  It's a vegan recipe, and although I'm not vegan, I liked the idea of incorporating more healthy nuts into our diets - and it is processed free.  On her site, she calls this almond cream cheese, and while I really liked this spread, I wouldn't go as far as calling it cream cheese myself.  But, dipping veggies or spreading this on bread was yummy!
 
1 cup raw almonds
1/3 cup water
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar (I like Braggs)
1 tsp. lemon juice

 

Soak the almonds in water for 8 hours or overnight.  Rinse and drain them.  Remove the skins by pinching the almonds between your fingers - they pop right off.  My daughter had so much fun with this part.


Then, in a food processor or good blender add the almonds, water, salt, vinegar and lemon juice.  My mini food processor was the perfect size.  Blend until smooth.


That's your spread!  It came together pretty quickly once the almonds had soaked.  On the woman's site where I originally got this, she tells how to make this into a frosting.  I didn't really care for it sweetened as much as just a spread, but if you think that would appeal, go for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment