Thursday, January 10, 2013

Whole Wheat Bread and Honey Butter


This is the duo that I gave away to friends and family at Christmas - a yummy treat that still remained healthy.  I made mini loaves which are pictured, but I will give all the details for the regular size.  Since going processed free, I actually buy most of my bread from the store in the health food section.  I've shared before that I like the sprouted wheat Ezekiel bread which has met pretty much all my daily needs.  But, there is something about homemade bread - the smell in the house, the warm slice in your hands that just cannot be duplicated by anything made in a factory.  My friend Karen shared this recipe with me and I have made only minor adjustments to make it processed free.


6 cups warm water
2/3 cups coconut oil
2/3 cups raw honey
2 Tbsp. salt
6 cups whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp. yeast, heaping (I like SAF or Rapunzel)

7-8 more cups of whole wheat flour

Pour the warm (not hot) water in your mixer.  Add the oil and the honey.  If you use the same measuring cup the honey will just slip right out after the oil.  Add the salt, 6 cups of flour, and yeast in that order.  Mix this together first, then slowly start to add the rest of the flour while it is still mixing until the dough starts to clean the sides of the bowl.  It will take around the 7 or 8 cups called for, but don't add too much.  You want the dough to be slightly sticky, but not gooey.  And don't worry, this recipe seems to be very forgiving.  While the dough continues to knead for a few minutes, grease four large bread pans with coconut oil (I used my Misto to do this - love it!)  Dump the dough out onto an oiled counter top and divide it into four equal parts.  Shape the loaves and place them in the pans.  Put the pans in a warm area covered with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel and let them rise until they have about doubled in size - maybe about an inch taller than the edge of the pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.  When they are nice and golden, remove them immediately from the pans and allow them to cook on a wire rack or towel.  You can butter the tops while they are still warm if you want, but I rarely do. 

If you want to make the mini loaves, follow the directions up to the point where you divide them up.  I have found that I can get about 15 mini loaves from this recipe.  You still need to let them rise, but only bake them for about 18 minutes at the same temperature. 

Regardless of the size, these freeze beautifully, so even though this makes quite a bit, you won't be sorry to have some on hand.  And they do make great gifts.

Now I have found that you shouldn't let one of them cool entirely before cutting into it and slathering it with butter - it loses something not to eat it warm, right?  So enjoy the fruits of your labor at that perfect moment when all feels right in the world.


As for the honey butter, it is beyond easy to make.  It's just salted butter (I like organic) softened to room temperature then beaten with as much or as little raw honey as you want.   Make this to your personal taste.  I personally enjoy having to spread a little on a piece of warm bread for a taste check many times over!

No comments:

Post a Comment