Wednesday, September 19, 2012

100% Whole Wheat Crescent Rolls



When trying to eat processed free, you realize there are recipes that you used to make that your family liked, but can't enjoy anymore.  Crescent rolls were one of those for me.  I love bread! Only I couldn't justify all the negatives about this favorite food.  After a little trial and error, I came up with this recipe that uses real ingredients, healthy oils, and cuts out the refined sugar and flour.  Now there is no stopping the enjoyment!

Whole Wheat Crescent Rolls


3/4 cup warm milk
1 package of yeast
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. honey
1 Tbsp coconut oil + more for brushing on the bowl and dough (heated slightly to become liquid)
1 egg, beaten, at room temperature


Dissolve yeast into warm milk.  Allow to sit for about five minutes.  In a large bowl combine milk and yeast mixture, 1 cup of flour, salt, honey, 1 Tbsp oil, and egg.  Mix well.  Add enough of the remaining flour to make the dough easy to handle (about 1 cup.)  Turn onto a floured surface and knead for a few minutes – it should feel smooth and springy.  Grease the bowl with coconut oil and put the dough back in the bowl.  Cover with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place for one hour or until dough has doubled in size.
Punch down the dough to deflate it and divide it into two equal halves.  Place half on a floured surface and roll out into a 12“ circle.  Brush each piece with a bit more coconut oil or butter if you prefer.  Cut into 8 equally sized wedges. Roll each one starting at the outside edge to the point of the triangle.  Place on a greased baking sheet.  You can brush with more butter if you would like.  Cover them loosely again and let rise 30 more minutes or until doubled.  Repeat these steps for the other half of the dough.  Bake at 375 degrees for 12 - 15 minutes.

 Makes 16 rolls 

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I'm also just starting to cut out processed foods for my family and was searching for a whole wheat cresent roll recipe to try instead of the usual stuff in a tube. Can't wait to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. It is totally worth all the effort you will put in to be processed free. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've found several dinner recipes that call for packaged crescent rolls as an ingredient, usually for a crust or a stuffed bread. I'd love to try the recipes, but we're avoiding processed foods so I need an alternative to the canned stuff. Do you think this recipe would work as a replacement? And do you happen to know if you can freeze extra batches of dough for later? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this would work as a substitute for the canned rolls. In fact, I used this in place of store bought crescent dough for homemade pigs in a blanket that you can find on my blog. Not sure about freezing them. I think it's worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Whole wheat Crescent rolls and biscuits were the recipes I've searched for! I'm trying to take my family to processed free food and I thought bread was going to be one of the hardest things...I'm so glad I found your site!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you can find sprouted whole wheat flour that is even better for you! Sprouted grains have even more nutrition and digest as alkaline instead of acid in your system. One other quick tip, if this tastes too "whole wheat," try adding a small amount of lemon juice. It will cut some of that flavor if it's a turn off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you think it would be okay to let this dough rise in the freezer overnight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Refrigerator, not freezer! Oops

      Delete
    2. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure. I do know that for something to rise it needs to be at room temp or warmer, but once it has risen you could probably store it in the fridge. Let me know how it turns out if you try it!

      Delete
  8. Do you have any idea what the nutrition facts are? Calories, carbs, et

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you have any idea what the nutrition facts are? Calories, carbs, et

    ReplyDelete