Thursday, May 1, 2014

Peanut Butter Frosting


 
This recipe was inspired by my husband.  He LOVES the combo of peanut butter and chocolate.  For his birthday, I decided I had to come up with a peanut butter frosting to top my clean chocolate cake.  Of course I didn't want to use any refined sugar seeing as I wanted it to be processed free, so this is not as "fluffy" as other frostings.  But it does hold it's shape enough that I think you could even pipe with it.  Let me tell you what a big hit this was.  My husband said this was his favorite cake ever!  I have to agree it was super delicious.  We have since made this again and I swear it was even better than I remembered the first time.  I think this has become my husband's official birthday cake!

3/4 cup creamy natural peanut butter (just peanuts and salt)
3/4 cup coconut sugar
4 Tbsp. butter, softened
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

In a medium size bowl, heat the peanut butter in the microwave for one minute.  Stir in the coconut sugar and heat for another minute.  You are looking for the peanut butter and coconut sugar to really combine and soften.  Add the butter and vanilla and beat with a mixer until it's smooth.  This should be firm enough, but if it's not, you can sprinkle in a small amount of spelt or whole wheat flour and mix again.  This can now be spread on a cooled cake or piped.  If your coconut sugar is not very fine, measure it first, then put it in a food processor or spice grinder and pulse to get a nice fine texture.  Store the leftover cake with frosting in the refrigerator - if you have any!



No comments:

Post a Comment